Copa Libertadores 2015: La U fall to Internacional


Universidad de Chile suffered their second defeat in as many Copa Libertadores matches as they went down 2-1 away to Brazilian side SC Internacional.

Los azules were going up against a familiar face and local hero in the shape of Charles Aranguiz, his first match against his former side since moving from the Santiago based club over a year ago.

Martin Lasarte had relieved some of the building pressure on himself after his team’s 2-1 victory over Universidad de Concepcion at the weekend but were unable to build on it and rarely troubled the hosts.

La U were fortunate not to be behind inside the first minute as goalkeeper Johnny Herrera did well to turn a free kick behind for a corner.

With 11 minutes gone, Universidad de Chile had their first notable chance of the match. Maxi Rodriguez picked the ball up on the break and drove into the Internacional half, firing a shot from twenty-five yards which rattled the underside of Alisson’s crossbar and Gustavo Canales was unable to convert the rebound.

Internacional had the opportunity to open the scoring just before half time when Peruvian referee, Victor Carillo, awarded the Brazilians a penalty for what he indicated was a shirt pull by Cristian Suarez on Andres D’Alessandro. The Argentinian stepped up and duly converted, smashing the ball into the top right corner.

Lasarte’s counterpart and fellow Uruguayan Diego Aguirre sent on substitute Alex in place of Vitinho after fifty-seven minutes and his impact was almost instantaneous. Two minutes after his introduction he picked out Eduardo Sasha, who had ghosted in between Jose Rojas and Suarez, with a pinpoint cross and only a smart Herrera save on the line prevented Internacional from doubling their lead.

Alex was to get his assist three minutes later, finding Jorge Henrique on the break after a poor Universidad de Chile free kick left Rojas on his own at the back. Henrique latched onto the pass without breaking stride and confidently slotted past Herrera.

The visiting side gave themselves a glimmer of hope after sixty-five minutes when Gustavo Lorenzetti’s cross was brilliantly controlled by Sebastian Ubilla into the path of Canales. The Chilean hit a sublime half volley and drilled the ball low into the right corner giving Alisson no chance.

Ten minutes later, however, the match was put beyond doubt as Aranguiz came back to haunt his old club as his pinpoint cross picked out Eduardo Sasha at the far post. The Brazilian hit his volley into the turf and Herrera was unable to keep it out at the near post.

The defeat leaves Universidad de Chile as the only team in Group 4 yet to obtain any points from the opening two matches. Next they welcome Bolivian side The Strongest and anything but a win would make qualification to the next round a near-impossible task.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s