Campeonato Apertura 2013: Week Fourteen Review


Whilst most of the focus of the weekend was on Sunday’s superclásico, in which Colo Colo triumphed, Universidad Católica took a further step towards its eleventh title with another win whilst O’Higgins maintained hope of their first with a win of their own as the two of them remain the only two real contenders with three rounds left.

In the weekend’s opening fixture on Friday night, second placed O’Higgins maintained the pressure on league leaders Universidad Católica with a 1-0 victory over Cobreloa in the Estadio Municipal La Pintana. The only goal of the game came in the 80th minute courtesy of Pablo Hernández whose header was his fifth goal of this campaign.

Saturday early kickoff saw Unión Española ended a run of six matches without a win against Unión La Calera with a 1-0 victory in the Estadio Santa Laura. La furia roja’s winner came in the 68th minute via Luciano Faravelli who had only been on the pitch for eight minutes before finding the back of the net. The win sees Unión Española stretch their unbeaten run to five matches and into sixth position on the table.

Also kicking off early on Saturday were Palestino and Cobresal with the former coming from a goal down to triumph 2-1 in the Estadio La Cisterna. Both of the home side’s goals came in the space of six minutes in the second half courtesy of César Valenzuela and Matias Ramírez which cancelled out Mariano Torres fourteenth minute opener. The win saw los arabes saw move into third position on the table whilst Cobresal dropped to tenth after the result.

Saturday’s next match saw somewhat of a surprise result with Rangers securing their fourth win of the season with a 3-0 victory over Santiago Wanderers in the Estadio Monumental. Doing the damage for the team for the team from Talca were Mauricio Gomez, who score a brace, and Esteban Ciacheri. Wanderers’ cause wasn’t helped by the sendings off Boris Sagredo and Matias Donoso although both received their marching orders after Rangers had scored their three goals.

A little under four hours after Unión Española had seen off Unión La Calera in the Estadio Santa Laura, the stadium in Santiago suburb of Independencia was once again in action as Everton hosted league leaders Universidad Católica. And it was business as usual for the top of the table los cruzados as they saw off Everton with first half goals from Michael Rios and Cristian Alvarez to maintain their three point advantage over O’Higgins in second place.

Saturday’s penultimate game was a scoreless affair as last place Huachipato shared the spoils with Universidad de Concepción in the Etadio CAP.

The day’s action drew to its conclusion in the north of the country as Iquique came back from a goal behind to defeat Audax Italiano 2-1 despite finishing the match with only nine men on the pitch. Only seventeen minutes into the match Iquique were reduced to ten men as Misael Dasilva was given his marching orders. However it wasn’t until half an hour later before Audax Italiano made the most of their man advantage as Felipe Mora found the back of the net in the 47h minute. The lead didn’t last long as Gerson Martinez equalised for the home side only three minutes later. Rodrigo Diaz then made it two goals in as many games when he scored the winner in the 77th minute before Manuel Villalobos picked up a straight red card in the 84th minute.

The focus of Sunday and much of the week was the superclásico between Colo Colo and Universidad de Chile held at the Estadio Monumental. And it was los albos who came away with the bragging rights and continued their mini-revival under Hector Tapia as an 89th minute Felipe Flores goal saw them triumph 3-2. Esteban Pavez opened the scoring in the eighth minute for Colo Colo before Charles Aranguiz equalised from the penalty spot after Luis Pavez was adjudged to have handled in the area.

Scoring your first goal in the Primera Division is always good but doing it in the superclásico is pretty special and Juan Delgado did just that in the 51st minute as he restored Colo Colo’s lead. Twenty-one minutes later thing were back on level terms as Ramon Fernandez scored a brilliant free kick only a minute after being brought on as substitute before Flores scored the winner a minute before full time.

The round drew to its conclusion in Chillian as Ñublense won their third match in four outings with 2-1 victory over Antofagasta in the Estadio Bicentenario Nelson Oyarzún. Luciano Vasquez was the hero for the los diablo rojos as his brace cancelled out Javier Elizondo’s 55th minute opener.

Primera Division Torneo Apertura 2013 , Round fourteen fixtures

O’Higgins 1-0 Cobreloa (P. Hernández (OHI) 80′)
U. Española 1-0 U. La Calera (L. Faravelli (UE) 68′)
Palestino 2-1 Cobresal (M. Torres (CBS) 14′, C. Valenzuela (OHI) 65′, M. Ramírez (PAL) 71′)
S. Wanderers 0-3 Rangers (M. Gómez (RAN) 5′ & 51′, E. Ciacheri (RAN) 42′)
Everton 0-2 U. Católica (M. Ríos (UC) 33′, C. Álvarez (UC) 43′)
Huachipato 0-0 U. Concepción
Iquique 2-1 A. Italiano (F. Mora (AI) 47′,G. Martínez (IQQ) 50′, R. Díaz (IQQ) 77′)
Colo Colo 3-2 U. de Chile (E. Pavez (CC) 8′, C. Aranguiz (UDC) 38′, J. Delgado (CC) 51′, R. Fernández (UDC) 72′, F. Flores (CC) 89′)
Ñublense 2-1 Antofagasta (J. Elizondo (ANT) 55′, L. Vásquez (NUB) 57′ & 76′)


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s