Campeonato Petrobras 2013: Week Fourteen Review


Week fourteen of the Torneo Transición saw Unión Española return to the summit of the table, ahead of Universidad Católica on goal difference as O’Higgins, who were top at the beginning of the weekend dropped points against fifth placed Cobreloa. We also had the superclásico which didn’t disappoint with plenty of goals and a few red cards throw in as well.

The weekend’s action kicked off in the Estadio Bicentenario La Granja as O’Higgins and Cobreloa shared the spoils in one-all draw. Both goals came in the second half with Pablo González opening the scoring with an effort from just outside the area in the 59th minute for Cobreloa before Gonzalo Barriga equalised nine minutes before full time after the visitors were caught napping with a ball over the top. The result sees O’Higgins drop from top position to third on the table whilst Cobreloa are still in fifth.

The first of Saturday’s six matches took place in the Estadio La Cisterna as San Marcos Arica came from two goals down to draw with Palestino. The home side went two goals up just after half time after some poor defending from the visitors gifted Sergio López and Diego Chaves in the sixth and forty-eight minutes. Renato Ramos hit back soon after for San Marcos before grabbing the equaliser in the 85th minute despite going a man down seven minutes earlier after Federico Scoppa received his marching orders. The point improves San Marcos’ percentage ever so slightly at the bottom of the coeficiente de rendimiento table whilst remain in twelfth position on the regular season table.

Saturday’s next match saw Unión Española return to the top of the table after they defeated Santiago Wanderers 2-0 in the Estadio Bicentenario Lucio Fariña. Two goals in the last fifteen minutes from Patricio Rubio and Gustavo Canales ensured that la furia roja stretched their unbeaten run over Wanderers to eight games and ended a run of three games without a win. Even with the loss, Santiago Wanderers are still in seventh position on the regular season table and are fourth from bottom on the coeficiente de rendimiento table.

Iquique returned to the winners’ list for the first time since round three after they defeated fellow northerners Cobresal 3-0 in the Estadio Tierra de Campeones. Goals to Manuel Villalobos in the first and 84th minute bracketed a goal from Nicolás Ortiz in the 38th minute meant that Iquique recorded only their second win of the season. The only blight on the game for Iquique was a red card to goalscorer Ortiz, who picked up his second yellow card in the 76th minute. The loss sees Cobresal stay in second last position on the coeficiente de rendimiento table and a battle to remain in the top flight of Chilean football looms at the end of the season.

Universidad Católica bounced back from their draw last week as they defeated Everton 2-0 in the Estadio San Carlos de Apoquimbo in Saturday’s fourth match. Hans Martínez opened the scoring in the sixth minute after the Everton defence failed to deal with a long range free kick before Ismael Sosa scored his seventh goal of the season and his team’s second of the night in the 22nd minute. The win sees los cruzados move up to second position behind league leaders Unión Española on goal difference only whilst Everton remain in tenth.

Antofagasta recorded their second win in a row after they defeated Audax Italiano by the solitary goal in Saturday’s penultimate game. Eric Pino capitalised on an error by Audax goalkeeper Alejandro Sánchez to tap home the only goal of the game in the eleventh minute. Keeping Audax scoreless also meant that Sebastián Sáez’s run of scoring in five consecutive games came to an end despite having numerous chances in the second half. Antofagasta are still in third last position on the coeficiente de rendimiento table whilst Audax Italiano drop to fifteenth on the regular season table.

Saturday’s feast of football action came to an end in the Estadio Bicentenario Fiscal de Talca as Rangers and Ñublense shared the spoils in goalless draw. The goalkeepers were the stars of the show with both Nicolás Peric and Lucas Giovini making a number of crucial saves during the ninety minutes to ensure that their respective teams kept a clean sheet. The result means that  Ñublense remain in eighth position on the table whilst Rangers were also unmoved in tenth.

Despite their being two games on offer, Sunday was all about the supercláscio between Universidad de Chile and Colo Colo in the Estadio Nacional. And as cláscios go it didn’t disappoint with plenty of goals, red cards and controversial refereeing. In the end it was an 89th minute goal to Charles Aránguiz that ensured that La U would triumph 3-2 and ensure that Colo Colo would continue their winless run against their arch rivals in the Estadio Nacional, a run that stretches back to the 2009 Apertura.

There were three goals in the opening forty-five minutes with Carlos Muñoz opening the scoring for Colo Colo in the eighth minute before Juan Ignacio Duma equalised for Universidad de Chile in the 27th minute. Los albos took the lead just before half time as José Pedro Fuenzalida finished off the good work of Mauro Olivi, who also had a hand in the opening goal, carried the ball from well inside is own half seeing off a number of La U challenges on the way. Shortly after the break los azules were back on level terms as Juan Ignacio Duma scored his second of the afternoon.

It wouldn’t be a supercláscio without a red card and referee Julio Bascuñan, who wasn’t having the best of games, duly obliged in the 70th minute as he issued a straight red to Luis Mena for a poor challenge on Gustavo Lorenzetti. This was the third time that the Colo Colo captain had received his marching orders in the supercláscio. With the man advantage La U pushed for the winner but it wasn’t until the 89th minute when Aránguiz was left unmarked in the area to fire home the winner. The drama didn’t end there as Colo Colo were reduced to nine men a minute later as Carlos Muñoz was given a straight red card for an elbow to the face of José Rojas, although replays suggested the defender milked it for all it was worth. Universidad de Chile remain in fourth after the win, two points behind the league leaders, whilst Colo Colo are in ninth position, nine points behind their rivals.

Four hours after the conclusion of the supercláscio Unión La Calera hosted Clausura champions Huachipato in the Estadio Nicolás Chahuán in the weekend’s final match. Unfortunately for the home side they were unable to continue their three match winning streak with an 85th minute goal from Felipe Reynero giving Huachipato all three points. The loss all but ends La Calera’s chances of their first ever title as they drop seven points behind the leaders with only three matches remaining whilst the win for Huachipato sees them move up to fourteenth on the table in a season they would rather forget.

Primera Division Torneo Transición 2013 , Round fourteen fixtures

O’Higgins 1-1 Cobreloa (P. González (CBA) 59′, G. Barriga (OHI) 81′)
Palestino 2-2 SM Arica (S. López (PAL) 6’, D. Chaves (PAL) 48’, R. Ramos (SMA) 52’ & 85’)
S. Wanderers 0-2 U. Española (P. Rubio (UE) 76’, G. Canales (UE) 87’)
Iquique 3-0 Cobresal (M. Villalobos (IQQ) 1′ & 84′, N. Ortiz (IQQ) 38′)
U. Católica 2-0 Everton (H. Martínez (UC) 6′, I. Sosa (UC) 22′)
Antofagasta 1-0 A. Italiano (E. Pino (ANT) 11′)
Rangers 0-0 Ñublense
U. de Chile 3-2 Colo Colo (C. Muñoz (CC) 8′, J.I. Duma (UDC) 27′ & 51′, J.P. Fuenzalida (CC) 43′, C. Aránguiz (UDC) 89′)
U. La Calera 0-1 Huachipato (F. Reynero (HUA) 85′)


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s