Campeonato Petrobras 2013: Week Ten Review


Round 10 of the Torneo Transición saw Unión Española put forward their credentials for this season’s title with a convincing win over Universidad Católica whilst at the other end of the table the chances of San Marcos de Arica staying in the Primera Division look extremely bleak as they suffered yet another loss.

The round’s action kicked off on Friday night with a pulsating 3-3 draw between Unión La Calera and Audax Italiano in the Estadio Nicolás Chahuán.

Coming off a hat-trick last week, Argentinean Sebastián Sáez was again on the scoresheet as he put Audax Italiano 2-0 up with goals in the 26th and 40th minutes. It wasn’t until the second half that the home side managed to open their account as Maximiliano Batjer found the back of the net in the 49th minute. Two minutes later Sáez completed his second successive hat-trick and looked for all money that Audax Italiano would make it two wins in a row. But Unión La Calera veteran Ariel Pererya had other ideas scoring goals in the 59th and 77th minutes to level things up at three apiece. The result sees Unión La Calera drop to 10th position whilst Audax remains in 14th.

In Saturday’s opening match we had our second successive draw as Palestino and Rangers shared the spoils with two goals apiece in the Estadio La Cisterna.

An own goal to Palestino’s Rodrigo Riquelme opened the scoring in the 25th minute, however things were back on level terms come the half time whistle as Diego Chaves equalised in the 42nd minute. Shortly after the break Rangers were back in front as Diego Martínez found the back of the net for the visitors. It wasn’t long before the home side were back on level terms with Chaves again doing the damage in the 62nd minute. The result means that both teams remained in the same position as they were before the round started with Rangers in 10th and Palenstino in 12th.

With Claudio Aranda arbitration, when only nine minutes passed the check managed to open the scoring through Cristian Canio, installing the surprise in the northern stronghold. Only in the 40th minute, Victor Hugo Saravia managed to match the actions, decreeing the final tie. In the second half, the main impact was the expulsion of Alejandro Delfino on 87 minutes of play, leaving no time to change the score.

In Saturday’s second match, Santiago Wanderers defeated San Marcos de Arica 3-1 in a match that could have ramifications come the end of the season, especially for the team from Arica.

Wanderers opened the scoring in the tenth minute via Luis Salmeron who connected with a Boris Sandoval cross to volley home. It wasn’t until the latter stages of the match that the remainder of the scoring occurred firstly courtesy of Jorge Ormeño whose two goals in the 77th and 82nd minutes put the game beyond doubt. Daniel Briceno did manage to pull one back for San Marcos in the 86th minute but in the end it proved to be little more than a consolation goal. The result was most telling in relation to the Coeficiente de Rendimiento table as Wanderers managed to put some distance between themselves and the bottom three whilst for San Marcos are very much entrenched at the foot of this table and if they don’t pick up a win or two in the coming weeks they will find themselves back in the Primera B come next season.

The weekend’s action then headed north as Iquique hosted Antofagasta in what the El Diaro Antofagasta described as the cláscio de puertos nortinos and like many a good cláscio it ended in the honours being shared in a 1-all draw.

Both of the game’s goals came in the first with Cristián Canío opening the scoring in the ninth minute for the visitors before literaturely named Victor Hugo Saravia equalised five minutes before the break. There wasn’t much action to speak of in the second half with Antofagasta’s Alejandro Delfino picking up his second yellow card in the 87th minute. Whilst the result leaves both teams in the bottom four of the table of more importance to Antofagasta is the fact that they are still in second last position in the Coeficiente de Rendimiento table and staring relegation very much in the face.

In Saturday’s penultimate encounter, Unión Española stamped its authority on the title race with a 3-1 defeat of fierce rivals, Universidad Católica in the Estadio San Carlos de Apoquimbo.

The first half was an entertaining affair with lots action in each team’s respective penalty area but neither team was able to land the killer blow and find the back of the net. That however did change in the second half as Nicolás Berardo opened the scoring for la furia roja in the 60th minute silencing the home fans in the process. The fans weren’t silent for long as Chile’s star at the recent Sub-20 tournament, Nicolás Castillo equalised in the 71st minute. The scores weren’t level for long as Gustavo Canales, in only his second start since returning from a drugs suspension, returned the lead to Unión Española’s favour six minutes later. Patricio Rubio then put the icing on the cake for the visitors in the 92nd minute scoring the team’s third and his sixth for the season only moments after being on the end of some treatment by Hans Martínez, which earned the defender his second yellow card. The win sees la furia roja move five points clear at the top of the table whilst Universidad Católica will have to lick their wounds in fourth place.

In Saturday’s final match O’Higgins missed out on the perfect opportunity to stay within three points of Unión Española as they were held to a 2-2 by lowly Cobresal.

Cobresal, who were looking to end a run of five consecutive losses, got off to exactly the start they wanted as Johan Fuentes found the back of the net with only four minutes on the clock. Eduardo Berizzo’s charges then exerted their superiority and by the time the half time whistle was blown they lead 2-1 courtesy of a brace to Paraguayan Mariano Uglessich, who found the back of the net in the 33rd and 40th minute. The score remained that way until the dying moments of the match and while many of O’Higgins fans were celebrating what appeared to be their seventh win of the season, Jean Paul Pineda popped up in the 94th minute to grab a late equaliser. The result means O’Higgins maintains their position in third whilst Cobresal are still stuck on the bottom of the regular season and are still in third last position of the Coeficiente de Rendimiento table.

Sunday’s action kicked off with a clash between the Primera Division’s last two champions and what resulted was a seven goal thriller as Universidad de Chile held off Huachipato 4-3 for their seventh straight win over the 2012 Clausura champions.

Five of the games’ seven goals came in a frenetic first half with Sebastián Ubilla opening the scoring in the seventh minute for La U before Charles Aránguiz added a second ten minutes later from the penalty spot. Huachipato’s Braian Rodriguez then pulled a goal back in the nineteenth minute and by the thirtieth minute they were back on level terms as David Llanos found the back of the net. The scores were level for only a short period of time as Ramon Fernández again put los azules ahead three minutes later. The second half was a much more subdued affair on the goals front with the scoring taking place at either end of the half with firstly Sergio Velásquez extending Universidad de Chile’s lead in the 47th minute and Rodriguez securing his second in the 89th minute for the home side. The win sees La U move into second position behind Unión Española whilst Huachipato remain in thirteenth position.

Cobreloa’s unbeaten run came to an end in Sunday’s next match as they went down 2-0 to Ñublense in the Estadio Bicentenario Regional

In an even opening to the match it was Ñublense who opened the scoring in the fourth minute courtesy of Jonathon Cisternas. After the goal Cobreloa pressured the goal of Diego Fuentes, who replaced regular goalkeepr Lucas Giovini who was out injured, but the third highest scoring team this season could not find a way through. Cobreloa continued to look for an equaliser in the second half but it was the team from Chillán who found a second goal through leading goalscorer, Javier Grbec. The loss saw Cobreloa drop to fifth position of the table and an after good start to the season appear to be out of contention for the title. Meanwhile Ñublense move to sixth spot, one point behind their opponents in what has been an impressive return to the top flight of Chilean football.

In the weekend’s final match Colo Colo recorded its first win since February 23 with a 3-0 victory over Everton in the Estadio Monumental with Carlos Muñoz scoring a brace.

Muñoz opened the scoring for los albos in the opening minute but that proved to the be only highlight of a scrappy first forty-five minutes where both teams struggled to maintain possession of the ball. After the break Everton played with more attacking intent but for the first time in recent weeks the Colo Colo defence held tight and it was Muñoz again on the scoresheet twenty minutes into the second half. In the dying minutes of the match Felipe Flores scored his first goal of the season and ensured that Colo Colo would pick up its first three points under interim manager Hugo Gonzalez. The win saw Colo Colo move up to eight position on the table only a point behind Everton, who sit in seventh.

Primera Division Torneo Transición 2013 , Round ten fixtures

U. La Calera 3-3 A. Italiano (S. Sáez (AI) 26’, 40′ & 51′, M. Bajter (ULC) 49’, A. Pereyra 59’ & 77′)
Palestino 2-2 Rangers (R. Riquelme (PAL) (og) 26′, D. Chaves (PAL) 42′ & 62′, D. Martínez (RAN) 48′)
S. Wanderers 3-1 SM Arica (L. Salmerón (SW) 10′, J. Ormeño (SW) 77′ & 81′, D. Briceño (SMA) 86′)
Iquique 1-1 Antofagasta (C. Canío (ANT) 9′, V.H. Saravia (IQQ) 40′)
U. Católica 1-3 U. Española (N. Berardo (UE) 59′, N. Castillo (UC) 70′, G. Canales (UE) 76′, P. Rubio (UE) 90+2′)
O’Higgins 2-2 Cobresal (J. Fuentes (CBS) 4’, M. Uglessich (OHI) 33’ & 41′, J.P. Pineda (CBS) 90+4′)
Huachipato 3-4 U. de Chile (S. Ubilla (UDC) 7′, C. Aránguiz (UDC) 17′, B. Rodríguez (HU) 19′ & 89′, D. Llanos (HU) 30′, R Fernández (UDC) 33′, S. Velásquez (UDC) 47′)
Cobreloa 0-2 Ñublense (J. Cisternas (NUB) 4′, J. Grbec (NUB) 84′)
Colo Colo 3-0 Everton (C. Muñoz (CC) 1’ & 65’, F. Flores (CC) 90’+1’)


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s