Campeonato Petrobras 2013: Week Six Review

Futbol, O'Higgins vs Audax Italiano.

The goals continued to flow in round six with thirty-three goals being scored with fourteen of them coming in three games on Sunday. The standout match of the round was the clash between Cobreloa and Universidad Católica where the northerners maintained their unbeaten start to the season and ended the run of their rivals.

The weekend’s action got underway in the Estadio Santa Laura as Unión Española came from two goals down to draw 2-all with Ñublense in a match that was a pointer to what would take place in the rest of the round. In what was a somewhat cliched match of two halves, Ñublense got off to a flyer and were two goals to the good after twenty minutes with Emanuel Croce and Juan Gutiérrez finding the back of the net.

After the half time break the complexion of the game changed completion as los hispanos looked to attack their opponents from both wings. The change in game plan paid dividends in the 60th minute as Diego Scotti headed home a Mario Larenas cross before Sebastián Jaime repeated the dose two minutes later from a Christian Cueva cross to level things up. Despite both teams having their chances the score remained at two goals apiece when referee Cristián Anduar blew his whistle for full time. The result sees Unión Española maintain their position in second position on the table whilst Ñublense sit comfortably mid table.

After a falling midweek to one of the teams threatened by regulation, Universidad de Chile didn’t make the same mistake at the weekend as they saw off Cobresal 3-1 away at the Estadio El Cobre. La U dominated much of the play in the first half but it wasn’t until the last minute of the half that they took the lead courtesy of Michael Contreras. Ten minutes into the second half Sebastián Ubilla doubled the advantage for los azules before he added a third in the 86th minute. Cobresal didn’t finish the match empty handed as Ever Cantero scored a consolation goal for the home side in the 90th minute. The results sees Universidad de Chile finish the round in seventh position whilst Cobresal are still rooted to the bottom of the table.

In the day’s next match O’Higgins stretched their unbeaten run to five matches after they came from behind to defeat Audax Italiano in their temporary home, the Estadio Bicentenario La Granja. Audax, who came into the match off the back of their first win of the campaign, surprised the home side by opening the scoring in the sixteenth minute courtesy of Gamadiel García. Their lead however did not last long as nine minutes later Luis Pedro Figueroa levelled things up. It then took until the 80th minute for O’Higgins to take the lead as Pablo Calandria put them ahead from the penalty spot, albeit at the second attempt as referee Claudio Puga ordered a retake for encroachment. Paraguayan Juan Rodrigo Rojas then put the icing on the cake in the 90th minute as O’Higgins ruthlessly exploited their opponents, who were looking for an equaliser, with a perfect counter attack. The win sees O’Higgins move to third whilst for Audax they are languishing near the wrong end of the table.

With both teams having Copa Libertadores commitments, Huachipato and Iquique both have had poor domestic seasons as they struggle to combine the rigours of two tournaments. In fact, Huachipato were yet to pick up a win in the five preceding rounds. Fortunately for the team known as el campeon del sur that winless streak came to an end with a 2-1 victory over Iquique in Saturday’s penultimate match.

Huachipato, playing in front of their home fans, got off to exactly the start they wanted after Federico Falcone poked home the opener after only three minutes after Iquique failed to clear the ball from their area. Huachipato dominated much of proceedings and it was somewhat surprising that they weren’t further ahead when Enrique Osses blew his whistle for half time. In fact, it was Iquique who were next to score as Sebastián Ereros converted from the penalty spot in the 60th minute. However Huachipato weren’t to be denied their first win of the season and Nicolás Nuñez duly provided the winner in the 80th minute.

In Saturday’s final match, San Marcos de Arica arrested their run of two straight losses, after they drew 2-2 with fellow promoted side Everton. The two teams have had contrasting starts to the season with Everton near the top of the table whilst San Marcos are struggling with their return to the Primera Division for the first time in thirty-seven years having conceded ten goals in their last two matches.

Playing at home, San Marcos started strongly against their former Primera B rivals but couldn’t find a way past Everton goalkeeper, Gustavo Dalsasso. It wasn’t until the second half that the home side got a reward for their efforts with Francisco Piña finding the back of the net in the 59th minute. Despite their efforts it appeared to be no avail as goals to Franco Raguza and Ángel Rojas saw Everton take a 2-1 lead with only two minutes remaining on the clock. However, San Marcos weren’t to be denied with Francisco Ibañez grabbing the equaliser in the third minute of injury time.
The result sees San Marcos move to twelfth position on the table but are last on the Coeficiente de Rendimiento table. Meanwhile Everton slip to sixth on the table.

The flurry of goals continued on Sunday with fourteen goals being scored in three of the four games that took place. Unión La Calera continued their good start to the season as they bounced back from their last start loss to Universidad Católica with a comfortable 2-0 victory over Rangers de Talca. Goals in either half to Leandro Benegas and Rubén Farfán were enough to see Unión pick up their fourth win in a season and move to fourth on the table. Meanwhile Rangers slipped to eleventh on the table still with only one win to their name.

Whilst Unión La Calera were fairly comfortable in their disposal of Rangers, the match that took place at the same time between Cobreloa and Universidad Católica was anything but a staid as los mineros scored three goals in the last twelve minutes of the match to secure a 4-2 triumph.

Católica started the match in fine form keeping their opponents on the back foot before opening the scoring in the ninth minute courtesy of Ismael Sosa, who scored his sixth goal of the campaign. It proved to be the only goal of the half as los cruzados looked to consolidate their position on top of the table. Five minutes into the second half Cobreloa levelled things up as former Católica player, Francisco Pizarro found the back of the net and it was very much game on. A Fernando Cordero free kick in the 69th minute then restored the lead for los cruzados before Pablo González again levelled things up in the 82nd minute. This triggered a frenetic final twelve minutes which saw Cobreloa add two more goals in stoppage time courtesy of Álvaro López and Alejandro Vásquez, goals which came after Diego Silva saw red in the 87th minute.

Despite the loss, Universidad Católica still sit on top of the table whilst Cobreloa maintain their unbeaten start to the season and sit in fifth position on the table.

In the weekend’s penultimate match Colo Colo needed an injury time goal from Carlos Muñoz to rescue a point against Antofagasta in a match that ended in 3-all draw. It was Muñoz who opened the scoring in the twelfth minute and it appeared it was a sign off things to come against a side that sits in the relegation zone of the Coeficiente de Rendimiento table. However los albos lead was short lived as Cristián Vilches’ own goal levelled things up two minutes later. A free kick from former Unión Española midfielder, Emilio Hernández put Colo Colo ahead ten minutes later before a brace to Antofagasta talisman Daniel Arismendi gave them a lead that they held to the 93rd minute.

Both teams will look at this as an opportunity lost with Antofagasta left ruing the loss of an important two points needed to stave off relegation whilst Colo Colo would gone into this match seeing this as a perfect opportunity to join the log jam at the top of the table.

After all the excitement of the matches that had gone before it the round’s last match proved to be a bit of an anti-climax as Santiago Wanderers and Palestino played out a staid nil-all draw. The result means that Palestino are still without a win after six rounds whilst for Wanderers it was an important in their quest to avoid relegation.

Primera Division Torneo Transición 2013 , Round six fixtures

U. Española 2-2 Ñublense (E. Croce (NUB) 12′, J. Gutiérrez (NUB) 20′, D. Scotti (UE) 60′, S. Jaime (UE) 62′)
Cobresal 1-3 U. de Chile (M. Contreras (UDC) 45’, S. Ubilla (UDC) 55’ & 86′, E. Cantero (CBS) 90’)
O’ Higgins 3-1 A. Italiano (G. García (AI) 16′, L.P. Figueroa (OHI) 25′, P. Calandria (OHI) 80′, J.R. Rojas (OHI) 90′)
Huachipato 2-1 Iquique (F. Falcone (HU) 3’, S. Ereros (IQQ) 60’, N. Núñez (HU) 80’)
SM Arica 2-2 Everton (F. Piña (SMA) 59’, F. Raguza (EVE) 74, Á. Rojas (EVE) 88’, F. Ibáñez (SMA) 90’+3’)
U. La Calera 2-0 Rangers (L. Benegas (ULC) 26′, R. Farfán (ULC) 61′)
Cobreloa 4-2 U. Católica (I. Sosa (UC) 9′, F. Pizarro (CBA) 50′, F. Cordero (UC) 69′, P. González (CBA) 82′, Á. López (CBA) 91′, A. Vásquez (CBA) 94′)
Colo Colo 3-3 Antofagasta (C. Muñoz (CC) 12′ & 93′, C. Vilches (CC) (og) 14′, E. Hernández (CC) 24′, D. Arismendi (ANT) 29′ & 50′)
S. Wanderers 0-0 Palestino


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s