Campeonato Petrobras 2013: Week Two Review

Futbol, Cobreloa vs D. Iquique

After two rounds of the Torneo Trancisión Cobreloa remains on top of the table after their second successive win whilst La U finally got their season underway and crowd trouble wasn’t enough to stop O’Higgins.

Universidad de Chile got their season and the round’s action underway on Friday night with a win after they defeated Audax Italiano 1-0 in the Estadio Santa Laura. In Darío Franco’s first Primera Division match La U dominated much of the play and were helped by the fact that Audax Italiano were reduced to ten men on thirty-one minutes after Gamadiel García received his marching orders after picking up his second yellow card of the night. The games’ only goal came in the 45th minute with César Cortés scoring his first goal for his new club. Despite having the man advantage and controlling much of the play los azules were unable to add to their scoreline in the second half.

In Friday’s second match Everton picked up their first win since their return to the Primera Division as they defeated Clausura champions, Huachipato 3-0. Everton’s win, which came courtesy of a brace to Emiliano Romero and another to Nicolás Peñailillo, means the Clausura champions are without a goal or a win after opening two rounds.

Saturday’s action kicked off in the Estadio San Carlos de Apoquimbo with Universidad Católica sharing the spoils with fellow Santiguans Palestino in a 1-all draw. In the first half it was a solitary goal to Ismael Sosa that gave los cruzados the advantage going into the half time break. For Palestino both Diego Chaves and Lucas Simón were looking dangerous but they weren’t helped by the sending off of Esteban Carvajal in the 32nd minute. Despite being a man down for almost an hour and being forced to play on the counter attack it was Palestino who equalised in the 77th minute courtesy of Marcelo Morales.

The next match saw O’Higgins pick up their first win of the season with a comfortable 2-0 victory over Santiago Wanderers. The match was marred by crowd violence as the visiting Wanderers’ fans decided to get an early start on stadium renovations during the half time break. This resulted in an extended half time break but when play resumed the O’Higgins dominated proceedings and if it wasn’t for some poor finishing they could have scored a lot more than the two goals they did courtesy of Pablo Calandria and Juan Rodrigo Rojas.

In the day’s next match Rangers de Talca scored a surprising 2-1 victory over Unión Española in the Estadio Santa Laura. La furia roja had plenty of chances early on hitting the post a number of times with new recruit Francisco Castro looking particularly dangerous. It was the visitors who took the lead in the 29th minute from the penalty spot courtesy of Juan Silva after Jorge Ampuero was adjudged to have fouled Gervasio Núñez in the area. Rangers doubled their advantage shortly after the half time break courtesy of a Javier Capelli header before Diego Scotti pulled one back for the home side in the 75th minute. Unión had a chance to equalise late on from the penalty spot but Sebastián Jaime’s effort was saved by Nicolás Peric.

The last match of the day saw Primera Division return to Chile’s most northern city for the first time in twenty-seven years as San Marco de Arica played host to fellow northerners Cobresal. And it was a happy return for the home fans as San Marcos ran out 3-1 winners over their rivals. The home side got off to a good start with Nicolás Trecco, who seems to love playing in the north of the country, found the back of the net after only five minutes.

The home side controlled much of the play and restricted the attacking threat of Néstor Martinena, Jean Paul Pineda and Éver Cantero. Eleven minutes into the second half the aforementioned Pineda levelled things up for the visitors. However it didn’t take long for San Marcos to restore their lead courtesy of Sebastián Rivera in the 67th minute before Francisco Ibañez ensured their first win in the Primera Division in twenty-seven mintues in the 73rd minute.

Sunday saw more action in the north of the country as Cobreloa made it two wins from two after they defeated Iquique 4-1. Another dominate performance from Cobreloa means that they have scored nine goals in two matches with Miguel Ángel Cuellar added to his goal scoring tally with a brace whilst Francisco Pizarro and Marco Sebastián Pol also got on the scoresheet. It will be Cobreloa’s last game at their home ground for this season as the Estadio Municipal de Calama gets a facelift for the 2015 Copa America.

Antofagasta made it a good weekend for teams from the north of the country after they picked up their first win of the season with a 2-0 victory over the newly promoted Ñublense in Chillian. Despite creating the better opportunities in the first half it was somewhat of a surprise that Ñublense went behind in the 62nd minute as Cristián Canio opened the scoring for Antofagasta before Daniel Arismendi added another nine minutes later. Despite being only two games into the new season, the result leaves Ñublense very much in the relegation zone.

In the weekend’s last match Colo Colo bounced back from their 5-2 thrashing at the hands of Cobreloa with a 2-0 victory over Unión La Calera. It took until three minutes before the half time break for los albos to open the scoring against their opponents, who had a first up win against Antofagasta, with Estaben Pavez getting on the scoresheet. In the second half Unión La Calera had chances to equalise but José Pedro Fuenzalida’s 53rd minute effort proved to be the only goal of the half and ensuring that Omar Labruna’s team would secure its first win of the season.

Primera Division Torneo Transición 2013 , Round two fixtures

U. de Chile 1-0 A. Italiano (C. Cortés 45′ (UDC))
Everton 3-0 Huachipato (E. Romero (EVE) 51′ & 54′, N. Peñailillo (EVE) 83′)
U. Católica 1-1 Palestino (I. Sosa (UC) 22′, M. Morales (PAL) 77′)
O’Higgins 2-0 S. Wanderers (P. Calandria (OHI) 71′, J.R. Rojas (OHI) 83′)
U. Española 1-2 Rangers (J. Silva (RAN) 37′, J. Capelli (RAN) 47′, D. Scotti (UE) 74′)
SM Arica 3-1 Cobresal (N. Trecco (SMA) 5′, J.P. Pineda (CBS) 56′, S. Rivera (SMA) 67′, F. Ibáñez (SMA) 73′)
Cobreloa 4-1 Iquique (F. Pizarro (CBA) 45′, M. Villalobos (IQQ) 51′; 2-1, 53′ M.Á. Cuéllar 53′ & 73′, M. S. Pol (CBA) 89′)
Ñublense 0-2 Antofagasta (C. Canío (ANT) 62′, D. Arismendi (ANT) 71′)
Colo Colo 2-0 U. La Calera (E. Pavez (CC) 42′, J.P. Fuenzalida (CC) 53′)

Photo taken from


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s